Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ministry: In Jesus Name

Text: So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt." But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" And God said, "I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain." Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" God said to Moses, "I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' " Exodus 3:10-14

A ministry is the servent of whatever is specified. For example, the Ministry of Defense serves our country in times that we need defense. In this passage we are reminded who we are ministers/representatives of. We have been asked to do ministry, and when God asks us to do His work, it is very specific.

1.) It is the I AM that CHOOSES (CHASES) us!-- God had Moses where He wanted him, and chased him to bring him to bring him back to Pharoah's palace. John 15:14-17 says You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other. 1 John 4:19 says We love because he first loved us. These are steps for love. God is first and last and has chosen us for salvation. He is at work around us, He has chosen us to join him in His work. You have to choose Him.

2.) It is the I AM that CHALLENGES us!-- God is in the challenging business. He challenges us beyond our own means. Look at Moses. God told him to tell them the I AM sent you. Together. Luke 14:27, And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. What a challenge to love one another. Do you see the challenges of I AM. Moses tried to back pedal, "But God...But God...", what challenge has God put before you. You have to accept the challenge. Philippians 1:6 tells us that being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. God is not going to start something in us that He won't support us to get the best outcome possible. He will see you through. What has God set you apart to do?

3.) It is the I AM that CHANGES us and others through us! -- God is always working in us as well as always working through us. In John 5:24, Jesus tells us, "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. That the changing power of God. God loves us so much, He won't let us remain the way we are.

No comments: